The Hillstriders Running Club is a community running club with members of all abilities. Our members run for the fun of it and also compete in 5 Km races thru ultra marathon events. We have a group run each Tuesday evening between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Our Tuesday runs are at Main Beach in Crystal Lake at 6:30 PM. The course goes around the lake for a total of 4.3 miles. Afterwards we have pizza and refreshments provided by the club.
The Hillstriders Running Club’s premiere event is the March Madness Half Marathon at Cary-Grove High School. As a member of the club, we ask that all members of the club volunteer prior to and on race day to host another quality race. After the race we have a member appreciation dinner.
The Hillstriders provide race support to many local community efforts via race management, equipment and results. Some of the events we support include:
• Woodstock Breast Cancer 5K benefiting Family Health Organization
• Thanksgiving Turkey Trot in Huntley, benefiting the Huntley Food Pantry
• The Human Race in McHenry, benefiting the Volunteer Organization
• Easter Egg Shuffle in Busse Woods, benefiting the Diabetes Association
• Feet Meet in Crystal Lake, benefiting kids and encouraging fitness
• The Northwest Trail Run in Crystal Lake, benefiting the Crystal Lake Park District Foundation and Centegra Foundation
• Various other events around Crystal Lake and McHenry County communities
In addition, The Hillstriders fully sponsor and put on two events each year:
• The Crystal Lake Turkey Trot in Lippold Park, benefiting the Crystal Lake Food Pantry
• March Madness Half Marathon in Cary, benefiting McHenry Country runners in the form of $2,000 college scholarships. Six (6) were awarded in 2014. In addition the race provides dollars to CGHS for facility use, janitorial and cook services. The Cary Grove HS Cross Country and Track teams are provided a donation as is the CGHS Tennis Team for services at a water stop. Payments are also provided to the Cary Police, the Cary Police Explorers, the Village of Cary and the McHenry County Sheriff Department for services provided during the event.